DAY 1: CUSCO – CAPULIYOC – SANTA ROSA
Before daylight we jump on the bus to go to the starting point of our adventure in Capuliyoc (2,900mt), where we will meet our horseman (donkey drivers), and enjoy the first view of the Choquequirao complex, but still in the distance. We will go down on a serpent like trail over the Apurimac canyon for 4 hours, crossing the small hamlet and hut called Cocamasana and Chiquisca on the lower part of the valley. The climate is warm and sunny and in the dry season is dusty. We will have lunch before the start of the ascent towards Santa Rosa, our first campsite. The lunch spot is called Playa Rosalinda 1500 m. Following lunch, we will ascend to Santa Rosa (2100 m), our first campsite.
istance: 14 km
Weather: warm and sunny
Hiking time: 7 hour
DAY 2: SANTA ROSA – MARAMPATA – CHOQUEQUIRAO
One day of complete adrenaline to climb up to the ancient city where you will get the highest view of the wide landscape. After a light breakfast around 6:00 am, we will continue our hike up to Marampata 2850 m.a.s.l for around 3 hours at a slow pace. During our journey we will observe the dense vegetation in the area. Then we will arrive to Maranpata beside the Chunchumayo for a refreshing and short rest. Along the way you’ll observe many orchids and colorful flowers as well as many birds and mammals, Marampata is the beautiful base camp and lunch spot with a top view much further into the mountains of the great Incan complex called “Choquequirao city” 3000 masl. From lunch it is a 2 hour hike along the Inca trail with impressive views of Choquequirao and its surroundings the complex. In the afternoon there is a recommended visit with less clouds and clear views to mountain ranges. In early darkness we will put up our tents close to Choquequirao 2950 masl base camp.
Distance: 8 km
Weather: warm and windy
Hiking time: 5 hours
DAY 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO – MARAMPATA – CHIQUISCA
Waking up in the Andes is a delight and you will enjoy breakfast surrounded by the wildlife of Choquequirao and the beautiful sunrise will surely fill you with joy for the day ahead. We will arrive at the main archaeological site in time to enjoy the impressive views of the deep canyons and maybe you’ll get the opportunity to see a Condor flying nearby. We will walk towards Choquequirao archaeological complex, which is a one-hour walk where our guide will share his mystic knowledge and you will feel yourself travel back in time. After 3 hours exploring the complex we begin our return back to the starting point along the same trail, 2 hours down across the Apurimac river and 1 hour up until we reach Chiquisca base camp.
Distance: 14 km
Weather: warm and sunny
Hiking time: 7 hours
DAY 4: CHIQUISQA – CAPULIYOC – CUSCO
The last Andean breakfast is the largest and most special with the noisy river nearby. This day is generally hot and we will make our way back up to the beginning of the trail. We will return along the same route to Capuliyoc 2800 masl., then slope back the way up to appreciate the condors and some Andean life on the route and snowcapped mountains that will surely turn your head in awe. We descended on the first day which means it is a soft climb of two hours on our way back until we reach the pass of Capuliyoc 2915 m.a.s.l. During our journey we will observe the exotic flora and fauna as well as sights of majestic snow-capped peaks and the impressive canyon of Apurimac. After we to get Capuliyoc, where the Climbing path finishes, we will have lunch where you get your last chance to see Apurimac valley and Choquequirao. Over all the climbing time is approximately 4 hours to get towards Capuliyoc the end of the trek and lunch spot, In the afternoon we will drive a car 5 hours back to Cusco. Arriving around 8 p.m., passengers will be transferred to their hotel. End of the services.
Distance: 9 km
Climate: warm and sunny
Hiking time: 5 hours
What do I need to bring?
2016 prices per person $ 525.00 USD.
Please contact us, specifying:
-Number of people in the trek
-Train service upon request: Expedition train, Vistadome train, Hiram Bingham (Luxury Orient Express)
– Students: US$ 20.00 (students require a valid International Student Identity Card.
Please note that Youth Travel Cards are not valid)
– Teenagers: US$ 20.00 (up to 15 years of age, passport copy required for all bookings)
– Children: US$ 40.00 (up to 7 years of age, passport copy required for all bookings)
– Early bookings: 5% on full program price for all bookings confirmed at least 6 months in advance. This discount may not be applicable in case a promotional price is offered
Optional service hired:
• An extra horse to carry your personal items: US$ 20.00 Per Day. A horse can carry up to 30 kg.
• Sleeping bag rent: US$ 5.00 Per Day. Our sleeping bags are –18ºC-comfort (0ºF) and mummy form and include a sleeping liner.
• Walking stick lightweight aluminum ($2.00 per day, per stick) two sticks are recommended for tough hikes.
• Single tent supplement (if you don’t want to share a tent) $25.00 per person
(1) On our clients’ recommendation, we suggest spending an additional day in the settlement of Choquequirao to enjoy this beautiful archeological site in more detail. On our way back to Cusco, there is also the possibility of visiting the thermal baths in Cconoc. Ask us for more information.
(2) The trek to Choquequirao must not be underestimated. Especially thesecond day involves great physical exertion to complete. Combined with high altitude and extreme weather (it can get very hot) the trek can be hard work. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you are well acclimatized, in good shape, and healthy.
(3) From the first to the fourth day (from Cachora to Huanipaca) we are accompanied by mule drivers and mules for carrying the camping equipment and our customer will only carry a daypack with the essentials for the day up to 5 kg.
(4) Tips for porters, cooks and guides are always welcome. The porters are also very grateful for a small donation, for example clothes or school equipment for their children.